SESSION 1: Build Your Confidence and Crush the Jitters
Manage your nervousness once and for all without counting to 10 or imagining the audience is naked
You will know how to ...
- recognize why your current methods of practicing may be giving you a false sense of confidence
- institute easy tactics on a daily basis that will have you presentation-ready at a moment's notice
- identify words you currently use that show your nervousness (when eliminated, you will instantly feel and sound more confident)
- convey confidence at the start of your presentation with the use of two very specific words
- check the rate at which you speak to ensure you are speaking at an appropriate speed so you do not feel or sound nervous
- stop using filler words - words that make you sound unconfident, unsure, and vulnerable - such as "uh" and "um"
- use 5 body language practices to immediately make you feel more powerful and less anxious
- get rid of the nerves when you ask a question and the audience goes silent
- identify your ideal speaking voice to instantly make you sound confident
- fix freezing on the stage
- present in front of your co-workers/teammates with confidence
Bridgett McGowen is an award-winning international professional speaker, a 2019-2020 official Forbes Coaches Council member, an author, and the owner of an independent publishing company. “Talks too much” was the consistent comment she received on her elementary school report cards, therefore, she figured she may as well do something with that "gift" and become a professional speaker!
Bridgett began her professional career teaching and tutoring for the Lone Star College System in the Houston, Texas area, then she went on to teach at Prairie View A&M University, a part of the Texas A&M University System (TAMUS), as well as University of Phoenix where she taught online Communication courses for more than a decade. Bridgett is a member of the Association for Talent Development, a past member of the National Speakers Association, and the 2018-2020 president of her local Toastmasters Club.
Bridgett has earned a bachelor's degree in communication as well as a master's degree. She has received the Master Presenter Award from University of Texas at Austin and two Fearless International Speaker Awards from Canada-based One Woman and has spoken on programs alongside notable figures such as
- Former President Barack Obama
- Oprah Winfrey
- Shonda Rhimes
- Alex Rodriguez
- Deepak Chopra
- Jada Pinkett Smith
- Chip Gaines
- Katie Couric
It was her work with TAMUS that moved her to become a faculty development consultant for an educational technology company, designing and delivering scores of high-impact webinars and workshops that cause audiences to bubble over with enthusiasm all across the globe.
Since 2001, she's been a professional speaker, and it was 2016 when she launched her professional speaking business out of necessity -- she was laid off. When she gets a microphone in her hand, there's no doubt that she owns it and that she loves what she does.
Any chance she gets to travel with her family, kick off her shoes, play in the sand, and enjoy a gorgeous sunset ... any chance she gets to simply enjoy life ... she does, and she encourages others to do so, too!
StartREAD 1: Here's How to Stop Crushing Your Confidence
StartREAD 2: A Secret Held by the Most Confident Speakers
StartREAD 3: Why You Freeze on Stage and How to Fix It
StartREAD 4: Big Audiences Require Even Bigger Confidence
StartREAD 5: Your Secret Weapon for Building Confidence
StartREAD 6: So What IS Appropriate Body Language?!
StartREAD 7: Presenting in Front of Co-workers
StartREAD 8: Microphones and Voice Projection